What are Inkedibles MagicSheets ™ ? How best to use them?
InkEdibles MagicSheets ™ have an edible top layer which can be printed to using edible ink. The edible prints will transfer to chocolate or meringue in accordance with the instructions provided below.
In order to make sure that you get the most optimal results it is recommended that:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE:
- Print with InkEdibles ™ edible ink
- Print in MIRROR IMAGE, as the image that transfers will be in reverse. Every printer has an option in the printer preferences/settings dialog box to give you the option to print in MIRROR IMAGE)
- After printing, allow the sheets sufficient time to dry (at least 10-15 minutes).
- Place the sheets on a firm surface (like a table top) that is cool but not cold (around 25 degrees C or 77 degrees F), add your melted chocolate or piped meringue over the printed surface (image side up).
- First, apply a thin film of melted/tempered white chocolate* on the printed sheet. The chocolate you use has to have a temperature that is not less than 31 degrees C (88 degrees F). The higher the temperature of the chocolate that is applied, the better the result. This allows the printed image (Edible Ink) to transfer and adhere best to the white chocolate layer.
- While the printing is allowed to apply to the chocolate layer, it is best to have the sheets placed in a cool environment (between 5-10 degrees Celcius is best, or 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit). Depending on the density of the printed area and colors used, the sheets should be left to cool for at least 30 minutes. Using dark colors like black or purple require a longer time to adequately transfer to the chocolate.
- Once you remove the sheets from the cold environment, inspect the sheet visually to ensure that the sheet is flat and that there are no bubbles. Now you can remove the plastic sheet and the image will have transferred to the chocolate.
* White chocolate is best because it will show the bright/vivid colors of your edible prints. Follow below instructions if you want to transfer edible images to milk or dark chocolate.
If you want to transfer edible images to milk or dark chocolate:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MERINGUE:
Suggested Ingredients for your Meringue Mix for Best Results:
105 grams egg whites (3 large eggs)
263 grams castor sugar
1 tblspn of icing sugar
- You will need to either apply the layer of dark chocolate on top of your white chocolate (such that the edible print adheres to white chocolate, and then you put an extra layer of dark chocolate on top of the white chocolate, or
- You need to coat the edible prints with the white Inkedibles “ChocoSpray” before applying the melted milk or dark chocolate, as shown below.
- Pour sugar and egg whites in a pot with low flame and stir constantly for 10 mins till the sugar is fully melted.
- Transfer mixture to mixing bowl and whisk on high for 5 mins. Add tblspn of icing sugar and whisk for another 5 mins. (do not turn mixer off when adding the icing sugar).
- Pour mixture in piping bag and pipe on transfer sheet with image side up. Mixture should be thick and smooth.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for two hours on low heat (175 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal)
- For best results, oven should be slightly open during baking process for steam to escape.
- Remove baking tray from oven and cool to room temperature before removing from sheet.
- If the oven is not left open slightly, the meringues might stick to the transfer sheet and it is possible that the meringues will have small holes.
- It is recommended to have the sheets printed at least one hour before baking on them.
- If the oven temperature is too high the meringues will go brown.